The Manoa Valley waterfall, also known as the Manoa Falls, is located in the Manoa Valley on the island of Oahu in Hawaii. The waterfall is surrounded by lush tropical vegetation and is a popular destination for tourists and locals alike.
The waterfall is believed to have formed thousands of years ago, as the result of the erosion caused by a stream that flowed from the top of the valley. The water from the stream flowed over the edge of the valley and formed the waterfall that we see today.
In ancient Hawaii, the Manoa Valley was considered a sacred place, and the waterfall was considered a place of spiritual power. The Hawaiian people believed that the gods lived in the valley and that the waterfall was a doorway to their realm.
During the 19th century, the Manoa Valley was developed by Western settlers, and the waterfall became a popular spot for tourists. In the early 20th century, a trail was built to the base of the waterfall, making it more accessible to visitors.
Despite its popularity as a tourist destination, the Manoa Valley waterfall remains a natural treasure that is treasured by the people of Hawaii. Efforts are being made to preserve the waterfall’s natural beauty and to protect the surrounding ecosystem.
The waterfall was also used as a location in several Hollywood films, including the 1993 movie “Jurassic Park” and the 2004 film “Fifty First Dates”.
- Jurassic Park (1993) – parts of the movie were filmed at the trail, including the scene where the characters discover the waterfall and the T-Rex paddock.
- 50 First Dates (2004) – the waterfall was used as a backdrop for a romantic scene between the main characters, played by Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore.
- The Descendants (2011) – the waterfall was used as a location for a scene in the movie, which starred George Clooney.
- Hawaii Five-0 (2010-2020) – the waterfall was featured in several episodes of the popular TV series, as it is a popular location for filming in Hawaii.
- Magnum, P.I. (1980-1988) – the waterfall was featured in an episode of the TV series.
Would you like to take a tour of the Manoa Trail with Lunch Included?
Manoa Falls, Oahu Waterfall Hike